Monday, October 4, 2010

Fugly Art. let it be Fugly



For the past oh, 7 years, i've been working on making it pretty. When i did interior plant design my boss would say "Make it pretty'. And thats what I did all day, and still do. I make my floral shop pretty, make nice arrangements. But lately, out of boredom I've also been making funky, sometimes downright ugly arrangements. for example, pulling all the petals off the sunflowers so they are just a big black eye, and arranging them in a row with cattail spikes. and i'm always surprised when they sell. People like unique.

I've been a jane of all trades for as long as i can remember, but have become a master of none. Now i am determined to overcome my Libra tendencies to flip flop and buckle down and become a master of a material. And on that journey i am going to make some Fugly art in the process of learning that material. So here's my first attempts at Raku, exciting, hot, and fast. i learned so much from making these tiles I will not be deterred by their Fugliness!





I got this crackle by waving the red hot tile in the air before lighting it on fire. You can hear the glaze cracking, sounds awesome =]


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was looking at your blog and I like it. I want to invite you to become my blog friend, and if you follow me, I will follow you...

    What do you think?

    I hope to hear from you soon.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sunflower arrangement sounds awesome. you should really go nuts with that this month. rad. taking autumn/halloween arrangements to a whole new level!

    downright inspired.

    glad you're loving the raku! :o) looks neat.

    ReplyDelete